Thursday, March 4, 2010

Kids and Computers

2 March 2010
4:43pm

At this moment I have six adorable kids around me. We are sitting on my grass mat outside my hut. I was working on another blog which was almost finished and one of the kids accidently closed the document and erased my work. Oh well. You will hear about my business expertise another time. :-)
The kids are the proud typers of the following prose. :-) They wanted to write their names. The first boy is named Thobi, so I really don’t know what he was trying to write. A few of the others were too little to know how to write their names so we helped them. Here is their handiwork:

Mjhoblcl

Setsabile

Phelele

Mabuti

Neliswa

Sive

Zodwa – I wrote this with my eyes closed and they were amazed!

Lindokuhle dlamini – My 15 year old bhuti came over and also wanted to be a part of the fun :-)

Neliswa and Lindokuhle are the only two who live on my homestead. The others are neighbor kids that hang out in a pack with Neliswa. They are frequently at the homestead playing all sorts of interesting games. I was even taught two new card games, Crazy 8s and Sisu (“Stomach”), by them. When I first arrived in the community most of the younger kids were much more timid around me. Now my presence seems to be their best form of entertainment. I often hear little voiced “Sawubona”s or “Hello”s from homesteads as I walk by. I have a clan of uniformed school children accompanying me home if I walk past the primary school after they are let out for the day.

Just this morning I had about 5 little grade 1 or 2 boys running with me. They burst into laughter as I changed things up and had us doing high knee runs, penguin walks, and butt kicks. They made for a very enjoyable morning jog. I still occasionally get the really small child crying at the site of the crazy white monster, or skittish peeks from around their mothers’ skirts, but I’m building a good report with the youth.

This Friday is the second meeting of Zamokuhle Primary School’s brand new health club! 79 kids have signed up to be a part of my fun/educational group!!! I’m thinking for my sanity, I will need to split them into two groups and have the groups meet on alternating weeks. :-P I’m loving the kids, though!





These are a few of the Neighborhood "Clan". They were playing with bubbles and having a blast! Laughter brought me out of my hut and the scene was so darn cute I had to take a picture... then I joined in on the bubble swatting fun, of course! :-P

1 comment:

  1. Great picture. I love the update. This is my first visit to one of your sites. What an experience and adventure you are having and all of the good you are doing is awesome. Love Aunt Shelly.

    ReplyDelete