Thursday, December 15, 2011

Surviving Christmas

December 14th, 2011
8:36pm

I barely survived Christmas and it is only December 14th.

You had Black Friday with crazed mobs going for the last (insert whatever was popular this year – ibook thing - I don’t know. I’m in Africa). Well, I had almost 500 people descend upon one school yard and me looking for festive frolics and frivolity. Did you ever stop to think how that ibook felt? Something along the lines of, “AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH”.

This last weekend we had the Teen Club Christmas/Party. It was epic, and most certainly the biggest event that I have ever put together. All of the teens from the 5 different sites (1 new site is being run by MSF/Doctors Without Borders) got together at the Nazarene High School in Manzini for an end of the year bash. Planning for this massive shin dig has been in the works for a couple of months already. I was feeling pretty cocky about my mad organizational skills about two weeks out from the big day. Food had been ordered. Buses were hired. Donations were secured. Right on schedule. Then I was called into the Executive Director’s office…

We had been given an opportunity of a lifetime: the entire Christmas party would be paid for and then some by UNFPA!! All I would have to do is change almost everything that had been finalized and start from scratch by writing an entirely new budget (9 days til X-mas). Then losing all control of the decisions and especially the speed at which those decisions were made (5 days ‘til X-mas). Then having to create more educational activities around specific health topics required by our funding source (3 days til X-mas). Receiving supplies to do all of the above mentioned items (15 hours ‘til X-mas). Losing my mind, if you are under the assumption I had one to begin with, (28 minutes to X-mas). Then we just smiled and jumped in! T - ZERO minutes to X-mas happened at 7am this past Saturday when we arrived at the site … kids started arriving shortly after.

I ran around like a mad woman wearing green and red. I could tell you all about the snafus and obstacles that cropped up every few minutes, like the power outlet not working for the inflatable bouncy castle (that showed up 3 hours late) or the two classrooms that didn’t seem to have corresponding keys on the ring. I could tell you about the Santa that couldn’t make it or the transport money that was in E200 notes instead of E5 coins, but that is just seeing the yucky admin side of the day. Instead, I’d like to show you what my kids saw.

They got to the Nazarene High School and found a large tent in the parking lot blasting Christmas tunes. Inside were registration tables and a morning snack. Games were being played in a grassy area behind the new makeshift parking lot. At 10am everyone was gathered to listen to Auntie Zodwa (me) and my awesome friend and translator, Wandile, for beginning announcements. The teens couldn’t go to the carnival array of activities yet. They first had to pick up their new drawstring backpacks and ruler/pencil sets that said, “I’m the World’s Greatest”. Which, of course, they are.

Then it was off to the games! They had to make very tough decisions…”Should I get my face painted first or take a picture with Santa?” or “Would it be best to make this awesome Christmas craft or go play medication adherence jump rope?”. Yes, the educational games were still fun AND gave out candy! We had old favorites like Delaying Sexual Debut Limbo, HIV Knowledge Memory Game, Med Adherence Jump Rope, and Finding Support Fall Circle. When the kids had a moment in between the fun learning games they got to put on a fashion show, dance, play soccer, get a glass of juice, make a Christmas card, pose with Santa, jump on a colorful castle of air, get a candy cane painted on a cheek (flags and soccer teams came out later), or relax and talk with friends from camp that have been attending a different Teen Club site. At 12pm-ish everyone finished up gluing the last bulb on the construction paper Christmas tree or remembering where the correct answer card was to that HIV question and filed into the lecture hall. The MSF/Doctors Without Borders expert client drama group performed a skit about preventing mother to child transmission (PMTCT in acronym speak). Then Auntie Zodwa gave out the graduation certificates to our >19 year olds, new policy announcements for 2012, and appreciation to the Teen Leaders, adult volunteers, and everyone that made 2011 Teen Club possible. The Teen Club anthem, “World’s Greatest”, being performed by ~400 kids and ~60 volunteers was the most moving experience of my extension year so far. Amazing.

Everyone got hot food, cold drink, and a cookie before grabbing a baggy with exactly double the amount of transport money needed for them to make the return trip to their homestead which could have been located in anyone of the four regions of Swaziland. Armed with a neon colored backpack declaring their awesomeness, fun memories, health information, and holiday joy, they got back on the bus or public transport vehicle that brought them to the site just 5 hours before.

Sadly, I am still not allowed to post pictures on this blog of our Teen Club shenanigans. Thus you MUST go to swazilandteenclub.wordpress.com to see all of the wonders I described above. Below is the best representation of how I was feeling during the day, and why I need the vacation Cam and I are planning to Victory Falls for next week!


Taken at around 9am Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment