Saturday, February 20, 2010

Their “American Swazi”

About two weeks ago I got the hair portion of a complete Swazi makeover. I decided it would be fun to have some friends in the community braid extensions into my hair. They informed me that I should buy 3 packets of the “gold” color and that it would only take 2 hours, at the most. They worked from 3pm and were not finished until around 8:30pm! My head was extremely sore that night, but by the next day my scalp had resigned to the fact that it was now constantly under pressure and became blissfully numb. The style they said I was getting is called, “Fish Tails”. I will let my pictures tell the rest of the story.





Getting started. Ouch ouch ouch!

Throughout the process, which was taking place behind my friend's house, many people came to join the Zodwa Hair Braiding Party! As you can see the synthetic hair on my lap looked VERY different before it was put into my hair, which made me a bit nervous about the outcome. I was fully prepared to look ridiculous! Ha!
My friend Khuli (on left) set up my "appointment" with Swazi (on right), and was trying to explain that I would be able to style my extensions many different ways. Later on she ended up helping braid my hair because it was taking so long!
Finished! This is one of the styles. I actually think it looks kind of cool! Awesome. :-P
This is how I wear it most often. Many people ask if it is hotter now with all of that extra weight. Truly, it is actually a bit cooler when I have it up like this. It has pulled all of the hair away from my scalp (and some OUT of my scalp :-/).




My friends now tell me that I have become their “American Swazi”. I am told the braids can last up to 2 months in Swazi hair, but I will probably need to take it out sooner. :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment